This project aims to identify how alternative business models and hybrid entrepreneurship can support the design, development and commercialization of RIH.
This project consists of a longitudinal case study of high-impact enterprises developing RIH in Quebec, Ontario and the state of Sao Paulo in Brazil. Sixteen small- and medium-sized enterprises with responsibility features described in the RIH framework were recruited in 2017 and 2018 and have been monitored over a period of 4 years. Diversification criteria included organizational structures and types of innovation developed. An overview of the cohort of enterprises participating in this project can be seen in the following infographics.
This project is based on in-depth interviews with members of the organization’s management team or employees directly involved in the design or development of the innovation. Additional data is collected through a secure web-based platform that allows: 1) to upload public documents related to the organization (financial reports, business plan, etc.) and 2) to complete the organization’s “digital diary” twice a year.
Articles have been published and others are currently under review or in preparation:
- Lehoux, P., Silva, H. P., Rocha de Oliveira, R., Sabio, R. P., & Malas, K. (2021). Responsible innovation in health and health system sustainability: Insights from health innovators’ views and practices, Health Services Management Research.
- (2020). The responsible innovation in health tool and the need to reconcile formative and summative ends in RRI tools for business, Journal of Responsible Innovation.
- Lehoux, P., Silva, H. P., Denis, J-L., , Miller, F. A., Pozelli Sabio, R., Mendell, M. (2021). Moving toward responsible value creation: Business model challenges faced by organizations producing responsible health innovations, Journal of Product Innovation Management.
- Silva, H. P., Lehoux, P. & Sabio, R. P. (2022). Is there a fit between incubators and ventures producing responsible innovations in health?, Health Policy and Technology.
- Lehoux, P., Silva, H.P., Miller, F.A., Denis, J.-L., Sabio, R.P. (2022). How can entrepreneurs’ experience inform responsible health innovation policies? A longitudinal case study in Canada and Brazil. The International Journal of Health Planning and Management.
Project Lead: Hudson Silva